Monday, June 24, 2024

canning and rain

In between rain drops I did a bit of canning.  We bought some peaches at the local Amish bulk store.  There is nothing like having canned peaches during the winter months.  We also bought some pineapples at a really good price but unfortunately most of the pineapples were bad (the reason for the cheap price). But despite that each jar still managed to be way under a dollar in cost.


While I was doing canning the rains were falling and Jim emptied the rain gauge so that we could get an accurate measure.  The total rainfall was around 6 inches of rain.  On Sunday we went for breakfast and saw how much flooding there was, some roads were closed but not any road we had taken. 



Last summer we were very dry and this summer we are very wet.  The jury is still out on which one I would rather have if I had a choice.  I'm leaning towards being dry as we can water anything that needs to be watered but you can't take away the moisture.
Despite the flooding we have had some warm humid temps and it's so hard to believe that the days are starting to get shorter, winter will be here before you know it.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you Judy, I would rather be dry.
    With all the wet.... we are having problems with fungus growing on our plants. YUCK!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you are really getting the rain! We had an inch on Saturday but have been kind of dry otherwise.
    Good job on the canning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love home canned food...it has been over 40 years since I canned peaches. Down home, every summer used to a truck loaded with peaches would drive through and we would buy peaches...and the year Roger and I loved down there, I bought a bushel and canned a lot of them.

    That is a LOT of rain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never learned to can but I wish I had. It's a great way to preserve summer produce for the winter. Now I'm a little nervous to try for fear I won't do it right and we might get sick (or worse).

    ReplyDelete