Monday, April 22, 2024

checking out the plants

I repotted all the plants I got from the local nursery, and they are looking really good.  I didn't go overboard with plants as I do have quite a few canned tomatoes and peppers from last year.  I wish you could buy plants individually instead of in a 4-cell pack, oh well sometimes one or two will die for whatever reason.  I put the seedlings in a cold frame since I don't have a greenhouse...yet.


When we moved here back in 2010 these rhubarb plants were here but have never been great producers.  I could occasionally make a pie but that would be about it.  Since adding animals to our homestead here we have an abundance of manure to finally put in our gardens. 


These rhubarb plants I started from seed a couple of springs ago and they are finally taking off, but upon inspecting them we noticed something has been eating the leaves.


The garlic is growing wonderfully, and I can't wait to be able to harvest it this summer.  I have soft neck and hard neck garlic and I prefer the hard neck, so I think I'll not plant any soft neck this fall.


My cousin moved to Arizona from Illinois and before she moved, she came out and gave me some plants from her home.  This forsythia bush was one of the many plants she brought out and for the first time in 6 years the forsythia bushes are blooming, a bit sparse but they are blooming.  We put them on the edge of our woods which she thought was a good spot.  My cousin has a green thumb and I mean green.  Our grandmother had one and I believe she got it from her.  I on the other hand have half a green thumb, and that's okay.

It's a bit cooler as I write this post, but we are supposed to be getting temps into the 60° range and I can't wait.

5 comments:

  1. We have a few local places that allow for on cell purchases, which is nice. Happy Gardening to you. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was growing up, my mom's had a green thumb...but her friend must have had a green hand. She could just make anything grow. . I love home grown tomatoes and home made tomato juice. I always say it is like drinking liquid sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh fun to see spring finally arriving in Wisconsin. We had such a strange winter, it feels good to have spring here.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed at your half a green thumb. I only have 1/4 of a green thumb, but Bob makes up for me!
    So nice to see the green and the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you've been busy tending to your plants and nurturing your garden! Repotting the plants from the local nursery must have been quite satisfying, and it's great to hear that they're thriving.

    ReplyDelete